Hey guys! Welcome back to my blog. So one of my favourite cupcake flavours is vanilla (you cant go wrong with a vanilla cupcake can you?) and its the cupcake that I make the most as its so easy. Today I am going to show you how to easily make a delicious, fluffy vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream. This cupcake is the perfect one to have with a cup of tea, or just whenever you want a delicious treat.
This recipe makes 18 cupcakes
Cake batter- 175g butter, 175g self-raising flour, 175g caster sugar (you can use granulated but caster sugar is better), 1/2 tsp baking powder, 3 large eggs, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
Buttercream- 175g softened butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 3 tbsp milk, 350g icing sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4 and line a muffin tin or cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Combine the sugar and softened butter in a bowl and beat well until creamy. You can use an electric whisk but I choose to use a wooden spoon.
3. Once the butter and sugar are creamed together, mix in 1 egg until well combined. Then add the other 2 eggs one by one mixing well between each.
4. Then add the vanilla extract and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl sieve the flour and baking powder in and mix well.
6. Pour half of the flour and baking powder mixture into the other mixture and fold it in with a wooden spoon. (Want to know why you should fold the flour in? Click here to my other blog post to find out https://theblueeyedbakr.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/my-5-top-tips-for-making-the-perfect-cupcake/ )
7. Once everything is mixed in add the other half of the flour and fold it in again for 5 minutes, until it becomes a smooth batter with no lumps.
8. Next spoon the mixture into each cupcake case 2/3 of the way. You can use an ice-cream scoop or eye-ball it.
9. Place the cupcakes into the oven for 15 minutes or until you can poke something in the middle and it comes out clean or until they’re golden brown.
10. Once the cupcakes are cooked take them out of the oven and the tin and place them on a cooling rack to cool before decorating (taking them out of the tin will mean the cupcakes will cool much faster).
11. Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, get started on the buttercream. Place the softened butter, (must be soft so its easier to combine with the icing sugar), and icing sugar into a bowl. Then add the vanilla extract, and 2 tbsp of milk, then mix together. (I used a spatular to mix mine together).
12. Add another tbsp of milk to the mixture and mix until everything is well combined and there are no longer any lumps of icing sugar (don’t worry if you are always left with a couple). This may take a while to get everything combined so get ready for some aching arms!
13. If the mixture ends up too runny then you can add some extra icing sugar to thicken it up, or store it in the fridge.
14. Once the cupcakes are cool to the touch then you can start decorating- which is personally my favourite part because you can be as creative as you want! Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with a nozzle already inside. (You don’t have to use a piping bag, decorate it however you want!) Then decorate the cupcakes.
15. Once I had piped the buttercream onto my cupcakes, I then added some sprinkles which made the cupcake more colourful.
Thats it you have now made fantastic vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.
I hope that you have enjoyed reading and now you know how to make a delicious vanilla cupcake.
Thanks for reading! Goodbye for now.
The Blue Eyed Baker 🙂